Back when I was still focused on Alison, there was a young man named Rich who was just enamored with Trump.
Him: He wants to build a wall, protect the workers here.
Me: But most people don’t come into the US in a way where a wall would work.
It turns out that, the wall had been conceived by two consultants “to get Trump to remember to talk about immigration.”
Put another way, it wasn’t meant to ever be a literal thing, it was just meant as a shorthand to keep someone as jawdroppingly stupid as Trump on the right page to have something to talk about with immigration.
But he took it and ran with it.
Even though it didn’t make any sense. Even thought it didn’t do what it was ostensibly meant to do – keep out immigrants – it did what it was really meant to do, which was keep Trump talking about immigration.
You’ll note that he never mentions it or the wall anymore. But I digress.
I got into a FB tiff with a friend because I told her that rent regulation didn’t work. Because it doesn’t.
Do you know why rent regulation was invented? It was invented to stop an emergency: To keep WWII veterans from coming back and getting price gouged.
That was the emergency.
Do you know of any other 75-year-old emergencies? Kinda really stretches the concept of an “emergency,” yeah?
Rent regulation goes against basic economic principles: If you take away 45% of the supply – NYC is roughly 45% rent-regulated – then the remaining 55% becomes astronomically high. It makes it so that the people lucky enough to get it, get cheap rent, while everyone else subsidizes them.
After all, non-market income doesn’t change the fact that everything else – utilities, taxes, mortgages – is a market expense.
Study after study shows that rent regulation doesn’t work.
Just like study after study shows the wall won’t work.
I mentioned this and she wrote back, “So, you just want to fuck the poor, Logan?”
Rich, when I told him the wall won’t work said, “So, you just want to steal jobs from Americans to give to criminals?”
I said once that I live by some basic rules: Is it true? seems like such a stupid one.
And yet, it’s the one that people mess up the most, I think.
My female friend wants to believe that rent regulation works and if I don’t believe that, I must want to “fuck the poor.”
Rich wants to believe that the wall works, and if I don’t believe that, I must want “to steal jobs from Americans to give to criminals.”
Funny thing is that they both defriended me.
That’s what happens if you don’t ask yourself that simple basic question: Is it true?
The less you ask that question, the more you find things that are actually true, repulsive.
The truth becomes grotesque.
When you live an unexamined life, you start becoming part of the world’s problems.
You build walls, to protect the comforting untrue things from the repulsive true things. And people just become another ugly thing you don’t want to see.
Eh, I don’t blame them.
I find myself grotesque and I’d defriend me too if I had the chance.