Him: “Streetsmart?” That’s what stupid people say when they don’t like to read or know anything about anything.
Did you have a nice holiday? Hope you did. Didn’t do much myself, just saw the folks and ate my weight in Chinese good. Nuthin beats homemade food, yeah?
Just got in from shoveling a ton of snow in the UWS. About two feet of drifts where I am. NYC’s pretty for about 20 minutes in times like this. Then everything turns grey and icy.
Since I’m working from home today, figured that I’d read. Don’t think I ever told you but I’m a business book reviewer for the New York Journal of Books. Read twenty-one books for them in 2010:
- The Power Formula for Linkedin Success
- Smarter, Faster, Cheaper: Non-Boring, Fluff-Free Strategies for Marketing and Promoting Your Business
- Euphemania: Our Love Affair with Euphemisms
- Never Get a “Real” Job: How to Dump Your Boss, Build a Business, and Not Go Broke
- SuperFreakonomics, Illustrated Edition
- Comebacks at Work: Using Conversation to Master Confrontation
- The Referral Engine
- Rework <- Excellent book
- How the Mighty Fall . . . And Why Some Companies Never Give In <- ditto
- The Law (in Plain English) for Photographers
- The Forest for the Trees: An Editor’s Advice to Writers
- Mastering the VC Game
- Design Is How It Works
- The Wisdom of Bees: What the Hive Can Teach Business about Leadership, Efficiency, and Growth
- The New Rules of Marketing and PR
- The Language of Trust: Selling Ideas in a World of Skeptics
- Living Trusts for Everyone: Why a Will Is Not the Way to Avoid Probate, Protect Heirs, and Settle Estates
- Legal Guide for the Visual Artist
- How to Disappear: Erase Your Digital Footprint, Leave False Trails, and Vanish Without a Trace
- Free: The Future of a Radical Price <- ditto
Probably read about 25 books total this year. Use to read a lot more but I’ve been sleeping better so that’s gone down a bit.
Did you read any good books this year?
Location: my warm living room
Music: She looks around There are snowflakes on the ground
YASYCTAI: Stay in if you’re in NYC. It’s horrid out. (24 hrs/0.5 pt)