Hedy Lamarr is one of my heroes; she should be yours too
Met up with this nice fella who congratulated me on some of the work in one of my professions.
Him: At some point, you’ll have to pick one. You can’t be a Jack-of-all-Trades.
Me: I’m not, I’m King of two, Jack of four.
Hedy Lamarr was this major actress back in the day. If you said her name round the 30s/40s, everyone knew her like we know Angelina.
She was also a major spy for the allies against the Nazis, which is pretty cool.
But that’s not even the coolest thing about her. The coolest thing about her is that she changed my life; and yours. In fact, she changed the world.
She came up with the underpinning of Wifi and secure cellular/mobile calls.
In other words, I couldn’t write this sitting in bed if not for this actress.
- The fellas I fence with probably only know me as the best fencer in the class.
- The fellas I wrestle with probably only know me as the worst wrestler in the class.
- My clients probably only know me as a tech lawyer.
- My other clients know me as the guy with that fancy new designation.
- You folks probably only know me as a NYC insomniac with an incredibly nerdtastic blog.
Funny thing’s that I’m none of these things in my head.
People always wanna peg you as one thing or another; makes it easier for them to know how to treat you. And when y’re young, you don’t know what you are yet so you try on different things as you figure it out – the bow-tie wearing conservative, the flower-power girl, etc. That’s fine when you’re a kid.
But at some point you gotta be something more than a cliche.
Be anything you wanna be; but I hope you aspire to be more than a cliche. Hope you aspire to have more than a big screen TV.
May be a dork, yeah, but I’m the only dork of my kind.
Location: no place special
Music: my tears don’t show, but oh honey, they flow