CS Lewis once said that, The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of 60 minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is.
With the utmost respect to Mr. Lewis, there’s something about the world, when you get a certain age, where hours seem to drag but the years seem to fly by. 2011’s almost over and it feels like it just began.
In 2011, I:
- Made five resolutions. Kept three of them.
- Got married. (!)
- Got food poisoning for the third time in my life.
- Turned 38. (!)
- Had a second wedding celebration.
- Had a third wedding celebration wedding celebration and a fourth one as well. Man, we are just fulla ourselves – and then traveled to Europe to give some lectures.
- Nuthin really happened in July, just a lotta quiet summer weekends in NYC. But man, was it hot.
- Went to Bermuda, then dealt with Irene.
- Gave another lecture and spent a lotta time in the Down Town Association.
- Finished my manuscript. (!)
- Had my first Thanksgiving without going to my parents and instead had it with my wife (and sister-in-law – both of which I’ve not had in previous Thanksgivings).
- Made this here self-referential blog entry.
There are a few things that I keep to myself that I don’t put here just for a small semblance of privacy.
For example, I had six resolutions actually, the sixth was to marry Heartgirl. But I couldn’t actually put that up when I made those resolutions.
On the topic of Heartgirl, don’t think that I’ve ever said I love her publicly. Love is a word we all banter around; for example, I love rum and chili. Not together, per se, but conceivably even then.
Think it’s kinda obvious how I feel but maybe that’s just what it is in my head. But I do. Love her, that is.
She’s who I’ve been looking for since I was a fat kid in Flushing, NY. My person I can’t put inna words. And I’ve tried many times and yet I can’t.
So I won’t try. Instead, lemme say again that life’s a tragedy fulla joy and that she’s my greatest joy. She’s also funny, smart, and easy on the eyes, all of which doesn’t hurt.
Finally, I want to say thanks to her. For being the person to whom I don’t gotta prove my worth and for making sure I always have someone with whom to spend New Year’s Eve.
As for you, as always, thanks for reading.
Well then, it’s almost 2012.
Off we go…(!)
Location: the end of 2011
Music: Ah, but I thought I’d ask you just the same